Search This Blog

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Six Reasons to Specialize: Guest Blog Post on Ebyline

I built a freelance career from scratch, but it took me about 18 months to really gain momentum. One reason I finally got my freelance feet under me was that I started specializing in health, fitness, nutrition, and bridal (I'd recently gotten married and had a slew of story ideas) subjects.

Specializing made me work more efficiently and create a memorable identity as a writer--so much so that my first book, Ready, Aim, Specialize, was written to help freelancers develop their own lucrative writing niches. So it's not surprising I just posted about Six Reasons to Specialize on Ebyline's blog for freelancers.

Coming soon: advice for every would-be entrepreneur; writers to avoid--and why; and another royalty statement, decoded.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the links; will check them out. Just signed up with Ebyline and need to explore the site some more. Thank you for reminding me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear it, Karen! Let me know how Ebyline works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I've been a freelance writer/ghostwriter for over ten years and the way to get steady work is to specialize. I used my experience as a dotcom entrepreneur and director of marketing for a small software firm to specialize in technology writing AND small business. Not only have I been able to get fairly steady work, I've been able to get higher fees because I'm an expert. Again, great post!

    ReplyDelete