Want personalized feedback on one of your pitches? Here's how to play:
1. Send your nonfiction query to kelly at becomebodywise.com by Monday, April 18, 2011. Make sure you put "Query Critique Week" in the subject line.
2. Cross your fingers and hope that your query gets picked to be critiqued here on my blog. (I'll only be able to choose a few.)
3. Tune in next week!
That's it! For a look at the queries from last year's query critique week and my feedback on them, check out these posts:
Swiss chard pitch
Street harassment pitch
By the way, if you wrote one of these queries last year, please let me know what happened with it!
**All of my books on freelancing include plenty of templates to save your time--and help you sell more of your writing.
- New to freelancing? Then start with Ready, Aim, Specialize! Create your own Writing Specialty and Make More Money (Kindle edition), which contains 20 successful query samples, including a whole chapter of my former students' first queries that sold!
- Serious about freelancing? Then you'll want to read my classic, Six-Figure Freelancing: The Writer's Guide to Making More Money (Kindle edition), which covers everything from having a business mindset to working efficiently to building relationships with clients.
- Want to branch into ghostwriting? Then check out my newest writing book, Goodbye Byline, Hello Big Bucks: The Writer's Guide to Making Money Ghostwriting and Coauthoring Books (Kindle edition), which includes LOIs, bids, and contracts.
I love this query review stuff.
I wrote the swiss chard query and you can read that story on page 54 of the Jan/Feb 2011 issue of Urban Farm Magazine. They didn't put it online...rats.
Hey, that's great, Carol! Thanks for letting me (and us) know! :)ReplyDelete
Well, my idea and your critique were solid but I didn't manage to pitch it to the right people/at the right time. Marie Clarie has a street harassment feature running in their May issue and Women's Health may have a piece on it soon. Neither by me :( So it goes.
Don't give up, Brittany--it's a great idea and a well-written query. Look for some other markets for it, and keep me posted. :)ReplyDelete