Search This Blog

Thursday, February 17, 2011

The 10th Way to Thrive as a Freelancer

Earlier this week I posted about 10 ways to thrive as a freelancer these days; I spoke at Chicago Women in Publishing (CWIP) last night on this subject. (Great organization, BTW; I met a lot of smart, successful women and will be joining.)

So what's the 10th tip?

10. Forget...assignments. I'm not being facetious. Too often as freelancers we focus on getting one particular article or project. But one thing I've learned in 14+ years of freelancing is that succeeding as a freelancer isn't about getting assignments. It's about building (and maintaining) relationships. So, forget about assignments and focus on building relationships with your clients and potential clients. That is an overlooked but critical element to long-term success.

Remember last year's giveway on my blog? Well, when I hit 200 followers, there will be another one...stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. I liked all ten of your tips! This one is interesting. I realized building relationships is what social networking is really all about, but it never occurred to me to apply that same philosophy regarding getting assignments, but it makes total sense. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete